Towards Privacy by Design on the Internet of Things (IoT) Use: A Qualitative Descriptive Study
From remote control and surveillance to energy and health monitoring, IoT devices provide cutting-edge services to improve our lives. Nevertheless, IoT technologies raise complicated, innovative privacy-related issues that might limit their widespread adoption. Due to the passive nature of many IoT devices, it may be challenging for users to understand that their personal information is being gathered. Therefore, this paper aims to examine the Privacy by Design IoT application idea. We adapted the seven principles of Ann Cavoukian's Privacy by Design, which were first developed. In this study's qualitative descriptive methodology with interview sections are used. The results indicate that the majority of IoT users agree with and have high expectations for the Privacy by Design concept to be one of the remedies to the imbalance between concerns about the risks and benefits of using IoT.
S. Madakam, R. Ramaswamy, and S. Tripathi, "Internet of Things (IoT): A Literature Review," Journal of Computer and Communications, vol. 3, no. 5, 2015.
N. Ali Jasim and H. T. S. ALRikabi "Design and Implementation of Smart City Applications Based on the Internet of Things," International Journal of Interactive Mobile Technologies (iJIM), vol. 15, no. 13, 2021.
X. Yao, F. Farha, R. Li, I. Psychoula, L. Chen, and H. Ning, "Security and privacy issues of physical objects in the IoT: Challenges and opportunities," Digital Communications and Networks vol. 7, no. 3, 2021.
P. Bellini, P. Nesi, and G. Pantaleo, "IoT-Enabled Smart Cities: A Review of Concepts, Frameworks and Key Technologies," Jurnal of Applied Science, vol. 12, no. 3, 2022.
H. Touqeer, S. Zaman, R. Amin, M. Hussain, F. Al-Turjman, and M. Bilal, "IoT-Enabled Smart Cities: A Review of Concepts, Frameworks and Key Technologies," Jurnal of Applied Science, vol. 12, no. 3, 2022.
M. I. Ahmed and G. Kannan, "Secure and lightweight privacy preserving Internet of things integration for remote patient monitoring," Journal of King Saud University - Computer and Information Sciences, 2021.
D. G. Glance and R. Cardell-Oliver Privacy of Edge Computing and IoT. Book Secure Edge Computing. CRC Press, 2021.
Y. Ashibani and Q. H. Mahmoud "A Behavior Profiling Model for User Authentication in IoT Networks based on App Usage Patterns," IECON 2018 - 44th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, 2018.
B. K. Mohanta, D. Jena, U. Satapathy, and S. Patnaik, "Survey on IoT security: Challenges and solution using machine learning, artificial intelligence and blockchain technology," Journal of Internet of Things, vol. 11, 2020.
J. van Rest, "Designing Privacy-by-Design," Designing Privacy by Design, vol. 8319, 2014.
A. Cavoukian, "Privacy by Design: the definitive workshop," Identity in the Information Society, vol. 3, no. 2, 2010.
L. Bloomberg and M. Volpe, Completing Your Qualitative Dissertation: A Road Map From Beginning to End. 2018.
V. S. Brayan, N. Smith, and C. Mitton, "The Qualitative Descriptive Approach in International Comparative Studies: Using Online Qualitative Surveys," International Journal of Health Policy Management, vol. 7, no. 9, 2018.
Download PDF: 67 times
- I certify that I have read, understand and agreed to the Journal of Information System and Informatics submission guidelines, policies and submission declaration. Submission already using the provided template.
- I certify that all authors have approved the publication of this and there is no conflict of interest.
- I confirm that the manuscript is the authors' original work and the manuscript has not received prior publication and is not under consideration for publication elsewhere and has not been previously published.
- I confirm that all authors listed on the title page have contributed significantly to the work, have read the manuscript, attest to the validity and legitimacy of the data and its interpretation, and agree to its submission.
- I confirm that the paper now submitted is not copied or plagiarized version of some other published work.
- I declare that I shall not submit the paper for publication in any other Journal or Magazine till the decision is made by journal editors.
- If the paper is finally accepted by the journal for publication, I confirm that I will either publish the paper immediately or withdraw it according to withdrawal policies.