Utilisation of Information and Communication Technology for Environmental Sustainability: A Global Perspective
There has been a rapid development of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) globally, and ICT have been used as a tool to attain environment sustainability all over the world. There are diverse environmental challenges faced by developing countries such as ecosystem deterioration, pollution, resource depletion, loss of biodiversity and climate change and the management of above problems is difficult because they involve multiple actors and its occurrence is over time and space. Environmental Scientists have raised concerns on how these environmental challenges can be tackled bringing into lamplight, how ICT and environmental science research can be used to wedge these challenges in developing countries. The study is exploratory and employed the use of survey questionnaires as an instrument to collect data. Findings revealed that a lot needs to be done for ICT to be effectively used in the environment, factors such as inadequate facilities, problem of acceptance and adaptation of technology, lack of awareness and illiteracy, mismanagement, lack of technical know-how and unstable internet service are challenges that should be looked at to leverage ICT in the environment. The study also noted the fact that ICT has affected the society and its environments in other negative ways such as the production of unwanted by-products called pollution and depletion of natural resources.
Download PDF: 103 times
- I certify that I have read, understand and agreed to the Journal of Information System and Informatics submission guidelines, policies and submission declaration. Submission already using the provided template.
- I certify that all authors have approved the publication of this and there is no conflict of interest.
- I confirm that the manuscript is the authors' original work and the manuscript has not received prior publication and is not under consideration for publication elsewhere and has not been previously published.
- I confirm that all authors listed on the title page have contributed significantly to the work, have read the manuscript, attest to the validity and legitimacy of the data and its interpretation, and agree to its submission.
- I confirm that the paper now submitted is not copied or plagiarized version of some other published work.
- I declare that I shall not submit the paper for publication in any other Journal or Magazine till the decision is made by journal editors.
- If the paper is finally accepted by the journal for publication, I confirm that I will either publish the paper immediately or withdraw it according to withdrawal policies.